New Video Explains Why New York State Needs QUALITYstarsNY Now and
How it Can Help Children, Parents and Early Care and Learning Providers
Watch the video above to learn more about QUALITYstarsNY, a new voluntary five-star rating and improvement system (QRIS) designed to assess the quality of early care and learning programs across New York State.
Using uniform research based standards, QUALITYstarsNY applies a five-star rating system much like those used for hotels and restaurants, to indicate a program’s level of quality with the goal of better informing families and promoting better outcomes for children.
Today, research shows 75% of brain growth and 85% intellect, personality, and social skills are developed by age 5 – making the early years a critical period for preparing children for school and for life. Nearly two dozen states around the country already have programs like QUALITYstarsNY in place – New York can’t be left behind.
What are the benefits?
QUALITYstarsNY will provide a clear, organized, cost-effective way to assess, improve and communicate the quality of New York’s early care and learning programs. QSNY will benefit:
- CHILDREN: by creating stronger learning environments, rooted in proven research and techniques
- PARENTS: by helping them become more savvy consumers in choosing high quality early care and learning programs, such as child care and PreK.
- EARLY CARE AND LEARNING FIELD: by offering a roadmap and support to improve the quality of services.
- POLICYMAKERS: by instituting proven, uniform tools to guide more efficient and effective use of resources to support early care and learning services.
- TAXPAYERS, LEGISLATORS and DONORS: by establishing accountability and a cost-effective system that maximizes the state’s limited education funding.
Who is featured in this video?
- Cadija Tibbs: New York City working mother who spent months visiting early care and learning providers before finding the right provider for her 3 year old.
- Victory Riedy: Director, Victory Child Care in Albany, NY
- Kim Jasmin: Northeast Region Executive, JP Morgan Chase Foundation
At this time, the future of QUALITYstarsNY is in the hands of the Governor and state lawmakers. Winning Beginning NY, the state’s early care and learning coalition, together with its partner, Citizen Action's Public Policy and Education Fund are working hard to build support for this critical program.
Pass it on! Please share this link so others can learn more about why New York State needs QUALITYstarsNY!
Download a background piece about this video.